Presumptive Republican nominee Donald Trump said Thursday evening that he hasn't yet made a final choice on his running mate and that he would postpone his announcement following an attack in Nice, France.
When asked about his vice presidential pick in an interview on Fox News, the presumptive Republican nominee said, “I haven’t made my final, final decision.” Yet less than an hour later, in a separate interview with Fox News, Trump said the Nice attack would not change his mind on his VP choice, which implies that he's already made up his mind.
A bevy of news outlets reported earlier in the day that Trump has picked Indiana Gov. Mike Pence. The billionaire did not confirm that, although he did talk about Pence and two other rumored finalists, Newt Gingrich and Chris Christie during his first Fox interview of the evening.
The billionaire, meanwhile, was a little more opaque when asked by host Greta Van Susteren about Pence's earlier opposition to Trump's proposed ban on Muslims entering the country. On the one hand, he said "there is nobody that agrees with my fully on anything." But he later said he understands his differences "less with Mike than most" on that particular issue.
Read the full transcript here:
Trump originally planned to announce his running mate in an 11 a.m. news conference in New York on Friday, but he said he would delay the announcement in deference to the situation in France.
In response to the Nice attack, Trump said, “this has to be dealt with very harshly.”
He doubled down on his pledge to pause the flow of migrants from Muslim countries with a history of terrorism.
“It only takes one or two people to create havoc," Trump said. “We have to get awfully tough and very, very smart and vigilant.”